We are a group of about 40 local women who meet for once a month for talks, tastings and social times. Our members range in age, tastes and background but everyone enjoys building local connections and learning new things.
We have a garden group for pooling knowledge, swapping plants and visiting lovely places, and a restaurant group for the occasional meal out.
WIs typically support the local community and
- This year we’re supporting Earlsfield Foodbank, beginning with a special Christmas collection for them
- In 2020 we held a ‘lockdown plant sale’ and raised £1200 for Refuge
- In 2019 we raised over £1,200 for Homestart Wandsworth, which supports local families with children under five.
- Our able knitters have made bagsful of ‘twiddle mitts’ which soothe patients with advanced dementia, and donated them to Nightingale House
You can see the programme for 2021 on the ‘Trips and events’ page but past meetings have included:
- a coffee tasting
- the evolution of forensics with DNA and fingerprinting
- a ‘mini Antiques Roadshow’ for members
- the early pre-Raphaelites
- a zumba session
- a visit to a lavender farm
We meet once a month on (usually) the first Thursday of the month from 7.15pm at the Vestry Hall, 10a Wiseton Road London SW17 7EE. Wiseton Road is by the Sainsburys on Bellevue Road, so buses 219 and 319 stop nearby.
If you’d like to see what we’re about, please just come along – no need to pre-book. We might ask you for a £5 visitor’s fee. There is time to chat and be introduced to new faces before the main part of the meeting.
If you require further information about Wandsworth Common WI, please don’t hesitate to message us through our contact page.
More information on the Women’s Institute in general can be found here